The NAACP seeks to get rid of harsh and unjust sentencing methods that have the effect of mass incarceration and racial disparities within the jail system.
The united states presently gets the biggest jail populace in the world вЂ“ 1 in 100 residents is behind pubs.
Whenever incarceration is employed because the main reaction to social issues, people, families and communities suffer.
- Establish Justice Reinvestment Commissions that may downscale prisons and shift resources from prisons to training spending plans.
- Eliminate mandatory minimal sentences for medication offenses.
- Advocate for therapy in place of incarceration for non-violent offenders.
- Eliminate sentencing of juveniles to Life Without Parole (LWOP)
- Put a moratorium regarding the death penalty
Effective Police Force
The NAACP supports a rise in trust and general public security by advancing effective police force techniques.
The NAACP happens to be tangled up in informing effective police force techniques since its inception. In 1910, the NAACP took on its very first appropriate action in defense of Pink Franklin, an undesirable, African United states sharecropper that has experimented with protect his house against an unlawful authorities raid. Unfortuitously, a century later on, fundamental issues that erode trust and safety that is public police and African People in the us and other communities of color continue steadily to occur. The Effective Law Enforcement campaign works to:
- Establish use that is national of requirements for police force officers
- Eliminate Racial Profiling
- Advance policies that want information collection for several police encounters and transparency that is full of interactions
- Increase help for community policing methods
Eliminating Barriers for The Formerly Incarcerated
The NAACP is invested in the renovation regarding the voting liberties of previously incarcerated individuals while the elimination of obstacles to work.
Each year, our communities continue to grapple with the unique challenges presented by those who ostensibly have вЂњpaid their debt to society,вЂќ yet face barriers to re-entry that effectively continue their punishment as more than 600,000 individuals leave U.S. prisons. Today, our nationвЂ™s returning citizens face significant and many obstacles to housing that is finding work, regaining custody of the young ones, getting signature loans or educational funding toward college, voting and possessing other basic resources had a need to reconstruct their life. The NAACP requires polices and methods that
- Restore rights that are voting previously incarcerated.
- Eliminate obstacles to work in federal federal government and organization hiring practices
- Eliminate obstacles to get housing and aid that is financial previously incarcerated individuals
Survivors of Crime
The NAACP is invested in elevating the sounds of criminal activity target survivors so that you can determine and advance systemic breakdowns current within the unlawful justice system that perpetuate criminal activity.
Although African Us americans as well as other folks of color represent 49% of most homicide victims in the united states, their sounds are underrepresented in establishing policy that curtails crime that is violent. So long as the sounds of African Us americans and other folks of color aren’t being heard regarding solutions to methodically address violent crimes,
capability to successfully deal with crime that is high and general public safety remains restricted.
Elevating the progressive sounds of crime victims should include:
- Identifying and supporting existing progressive victimsвЂ™ rights organizations
- Dealing with NAACP state units to arrange вЂњStop the FuneralsвЂќ activities
- Advancing polices that may move resources to handling violent crimes
- Registered as a member
- Subscribe To NAACP Alerts
- Empowerment Programs
- Work at the NAACP
- Field Resources & Publications
- Awards & Fellowships
- Terms of good use
- NAACP Shop
- Media Inquiries
- E Mail Us
Copyright NAACP. All legal rights reserved.